TEXT: Ephesians 2:4-9
SERIES: Ephesians: God’s Glorious Purpose for the Church
“God helps those who help themselves.”
Point of the Passage: God helps the helpless, the underserving, those who don’t measure up, those who fail to achieve His standard.
I. The Grace that Overcomes Our Spiritual Condition. vv. 1-3
1. We were spiritually dead.
2. We were in rebellion against God.
3. We were under the wrath of God.
II. The Grace that Results in Our Salvation. vv. 4-9
A. God’s Work.
1. God _______________ us.
“But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love”
2. God made us _______________.
“made us alive together with Christ”
3. God _______________ us.
“And raised us up with him and seated us with him”
B. God’s Gift.
1. How is a person saved?
2. If we are not saved by works, how are we saved?
3. By what means are we saved?
1. Salvation is _______________ by works.
2. Salvation is _______________ by grace.
3. Salvation is in Jesus Christ ______________.
1. Why do you think people has such a hard time accepting grace?
2. How would you respond to someone who says he or she contributed the faith necessary for salvation?
3. What does it mean for you to boast only in the cross of Jesus?
4. How does it stir your heart to know that God helps the helpless?