TEXT: Ephesians 5:15-21
_______________ Christians can be filled with the Spirit.
I. Filled with the Spirit Explanation. v. 18
“be filled with the Spirit”
1. What does it mean to be filled with the Spirit?
To be filled with the Spirit means to be Spirit-_______________.
2. How can a be person be filled with the Spirit?
Back to English class (John Stott):
The command is in the _______________ mood.
It is in the _______________ form.
It is in the _______________ voice.
It is in the _______________ tense.
II. Filled with the Spirit Evidences. vv. 19-21
1. Joyful _______________ with other believers. v. 19
“Addressing one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs”
2. Heartfelt _______________ to God. v. 19
“singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart”
3. Overflowing _______________. v. 20
“giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ”
4. Reverent _______________ to one another. v. 21
“Submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
1. Have you been trying to live the Christian life by will-power or Spirit-power? How’s it working for you?
2. If someone asked you, “How can I get more of the Holy Spirit?” what would you tell them?
3. Some claim that the main sign of being filled with the Spirit is speaking in tongues. How would you respond to them from Scripture?
4. Of the four evidences of being filled with the Spirit, which one would you like to experience to a greater degree? Why?